Laurin Pause of the Arizona Master Gardener’s Speakers’ Group gave the club with a very informative presentation on preparing the garden for success in spring. Major topics included:
- Pruning Trees & Shrubs
- Preparing Soil
- Setting Up the Veggie Garden
- Prune dormant plants
- Careful with conifers: they grow from tips outward
- Don’t shear. Thin.
- Big branches: three step, outside collar
- Don’t seal.
- Never remove more than 30% of the canopy.
Soil prep takeaways:
- Test for and correct pH
- Don’t turn under old plant matter
- Add properly composted matter, which may include coffee grounds.
- Mulch 1-2 months before planting
- Fertilize with a NP (K) fertilizer.
Spring veggie takeaways:
- Be prepared to protect young plants from freezing: cold frames, tunnels, or floating row covers.
- It can freeze as late as the middle of June. Some years we can have no frost after the second week in April!
- Brassicas, leafy greens, onions, peas, and root veggies like it cold.