The Blue Star Memorial marker program was begun in 1944 by the New Jersey Council of Garden Clubs, who planted 8,000 Dogwood trees along 5 ½ miles of the US 22 as a living memorial to veterans of WWll. The National Council of State Garden Clubs, now NGC, Inc. (of which our club is a member) adopted the Blue Star Program in 1945 and began the Blue Star Memorial Highway Marker program. The purpose of this project is to erect highway markers at roadside rest stops, vista points, historical sites and other appropriate areas to pay tribute to all who have served, those who are presently serving and to those who will serve in the future in the nation’s armed services.
To qualify to erect a Blue Star Memorial Marker, a club must fill out an application through the NGC, with an appropriately designated location listed, as well as a fee of (currently) $1590.00. Once approved, the project may move forward. On all Blue Star Memorial Markers is the line “A Tribute to The Armed Forces of America”.
The AVGC – sponsored Blue Star Memorial Marker is located at The Center (The Prescott Adult Center), just outside the main entrance near the flag. This marker was dedicated September 10, 2014, under Kathy Madeda’s presidency. The American Legion Color Guard was present, as was Mayor Marlin Kuykendall for a beautiful ceremony to dedicate this Memorial Marker.
The Alta Vista Garden Club Beautification Committee maintains this memorial spot by weeding, replacing blue glass stones and providing a seasonal wreath several times per year.